Thirst

Photo courtesy David Hamilton http://www.wintersixfour.co.uk/

For a period of time when I was growing up my dad had to spend the night at his job. For who knows how long, he never came home. He was living at the Bonham VA. He was a housekeeper. I'm guessing that this was during a large chunk of one summer because my mom would bring my older sister, younger brother, and me to visit him during his lunch break.

This was about when I was ten or eleven years old. I remember that during one of these lunches we were in the outdoor recreation area and my dad did a full sprint toward our car. My brother, who would have been three or four years old, had snuck off into the car. It got knocked out of park and began rolling with him at the helm. He was making a break for it!

Actually, that phrase is appropriate I suppose. Only recently have I realized that my dad wasn't required to sleep at his work. Most likely he was on work release and spending nights in jail. It was probably a DUI. I don't really know how many DUI's my dad had, just that it's at least three.
I couldn't say when I realized my dad was an alcoholic, twelve? Thirteen? It just became part of my reality one day. It was always there I guess, just it was out of focus. There was no big blow up or Eureka! Just a slow reveal, like a long rack focus in a movie. Unnoticeable but just right there in the periphery. I'd seen him with beers my whole life. I was practically raised in a bar. From the age of eleven or twelve I'd crush empty beer cans to sell to recyclers. There would be dozens several times a week. I have no grasp as to how much he'd drink. Easily more than a six-pack a day. 

Every day.

Growing up I'd never want friends to come over. My mom usually wasn't home. She worked nights as a bartender at an American Legion. If my dad happened to be home any given evening, he was throwing back cans of Natural Light. Can after can after can. If he wasn't home, he'd be at my mom's work. Eventually he'd call for my sister to pick up him. And when she was gone and I was older, it would be my burden. Even if it was just the kids at home, the house would reek. Mom and Dad were also heavy smokers. Living in that stench you don't notice it. God I must have smelled really bad. Nobody at school ever mentioned it, but it had to have been in my clothes. In my hair.

In my 8th grade social studies class there was a student, John M, who had a big mouth. The guy liked to talk a lot. Gossip, rumors, lies, whatever. Talking was his hobby. One time in class we were talking about some bullshit. He asked me my middle name and I told him, “Paul.” He said that he had read in the newspaper that a DePaul Jones had recently been arrested for DUI. He asked me if I knew a DePaul Jones. I answered no. He asked who my dad was and I told him Joe Paul Jones. “Oh, that's it.”

I hadn't heard about this, but immediately I knew it was true. He asked if my dad had been pulled over for driving drunk and I said, “No.” I told him, “My dad doesn't ever drink.” Then it got awkward. How small of a town did I grow up in that the newspaper publishes DUI arrests? And what kind of 14-year-old-boy reads the crime report? I was so embarrassed, and ashamed, and pissed, and confused. I was blindsided. I hated John. I hated dad.

Several years before that I experienced horror absolute. The kind of pain where you cry and your eyes get puffy and swell up and your vision is a wet blur. You only see like three or four shades of color it's so blurry. Like looking through a stained glass window at dawn.  I was so hurt and scared. My eyes stung. My dad and I were home alone one night, or maybe my brother was asleep in his bed . I was in his room watching TV on the floor. At this time in this house we had a living room TV and a TV in my parents' room. And my black and white TV. My dad was probably watching some old western on an independent Dallas TV station. I may have been watching Friday the 13th the Series or something. Dad came into the room and was crying. He knelt down and asked for a hug. I obliged and asked, “What's wrong daddy?” I was crying now.  Last time he was like this, my grandfather had died. Oh God, what was going on? He asked me if I'd be better off if he was dead. If the whole family would be better off. “No!” I cried out. He sobbed some more.  

My grandfather would have died within the last few years so this is the early 90s. The two things that stood out to me that he had left behind was an old banjo and a rifle. My dad asked me if I wanted him to take Papa's gun and shoot himself. I told him “no”. He asked me why. All I could say was, “because I love you dad!” This was the most crippling thing I had ever experienced in my life. I was so damn helpless. He never mentioned that night to me. I never spoke of it to anyone until I told my wife over 20 years later. I had wanted to but it stays in my head. My lips never even could form to let out an audible syllable. A part of me always hated him for that night. No idea what brought it on, or how and why it was resolved. I'm not sure where the banjo and rifle are now. I don't care to know.

Not every Monday morning, but more often than not, I'd awaken to my mom yelling at my dad. “One of these days they are going to fire you!” After the fighting subsided and there was a moment of peace, my dad would call into work sick with a hangover. This probably happened at least 30 times a year. Must be great to work for the US government. I wonder what his reputation at work was. I was always fearful that he would lose his job and we would be screwed. But he hung around and never got fired. He worked there until his premature death at age 52.

My dad never told me about the birds and the bees. Our version of the talk was pretty sad. Pretty quick. I was early in my relationship with my girlfriend. My dad was sitting in the kitchen watching TV. At this point, we were moved into a different house, with TV's in every room but the bathrooms. I went in probably to get a soda or something. Dad called me over. He was struggling to stay awake, let alone keep from falling out of the bar stool. “Hey, you know if you get a girl pregnant, you have to marry her, right?”
“Yeah.” And that was it. I was a sophomore at this point. I was armed with late night Showtime and Cinemax. It's basically like snapping and unsnapping two Lego pieces together over and and , nine months later you get a kid. What else did I need to know?

My junior year of high school I was sick and left work at Burger King early one night. I had never called in or went home sick or anything before. Turns out that I had appendicitis. And after that I ended up getting a bowel recession due to some complications. I lost over sixty pounds in about a month and a half. One night I was laying on the couch in the living room and the phone rang. It was my dad needing me to pick him up from the American Legion. I didn't feel like it and I was tired. I fell asleep. When my mom came home she woke me up and yelled a me. My dad had been popped for a DUI and it was my fault. I should have picked him up.  He was an drunk and couldn't help it. He was impatient and didn't get a cab. Normally people are accountable for their own actions but with addiction it is really hard. The need to fill the void left by whatever the substance of your choice is is so damn strong. There is almost no rationale. He gambled that he could make it home and the river came up flashing lights. My mom didn't really mean it, she was just pissed and let her emotions take over. And her own sense of guilt.

For years I blamed my mom for my dad's drinking problem. She time and time again would yell at him about being a drunk, and yet more often than not she was the one serving him. But at least she could keep an eye on him. Had he gone all the way to the VFW to feed his addiction, it would have been much worse for sure. The VFW was like 15 miles outside of town, and it was a well known fact that sheriff deputies would hide and bust speeders and suspected drunk drivers. Yet, they did pretty well. This was no secret, but the desire to numb your feelings is strong enough to lure you out there. In danger of getting arrested, killing somebody else, or yourself.

After that DUI, my dad never got his license back. Other than a few emergencies, he stayed away from behind the wheel. My parents adjusted and made it work. No more arrests, just monthly payments on however much those fines and court fees ended up totaling.

I don't know if I am an alcoholic or not. I know I do have an addictive tendency. When I get the dopamine pumping in my body I become obsessive. Over the years I've had addictions to many things. Not drugs or alcohol. Mainly things like collecting stuff, or playing stupid games.  It's not even fun, but there's still a reward attached to whatever it has been. After a while it diminishes and I move on to something else.

After leaving college, I never really drank that much. My first full time job, once or twice a week I'd socially drink with coworkers. Most of them were from out of town and we were all roughly the same age, so we kind of naturally drew to each other. Since then I rarely drank. Thankfully, my wife's family is alcohol free so that never comes up at gatherings. At my current job, when I first started working there I was invited to go out quite a bit. I'd go occasionally, but those times became more and more rare. Eventually the invites dried up completely, they got the message that I don't hang out at bars.  Not that I relate to many people any way.

Having a wonderful family also makes it easier for me to shy away from booze. I don't want to put them through what I grew up with. My parents loved me and gave me anything I needed, except time. I'm not perfect, but I want to give more to my kids. I want to be motivated to be a great dad and husband. I want to be focused on giving them my attention and love. I need to be sober, I want to be sober. I wouldn't want to miss this.  ###

If I had to pick a song to be the soundtrack to this post it would be...


Comments