OJ Simpson and White Guilt



In June of 1994 my 16-year-old sister April, my 4-year-old brother Johnathan, and I were visiting family in Germany for the summer. I was 12 at the time. This was the summer that followed my 6th grade year. I was in my Oma and Opa's back garden when my sister came out and told me that somebody named JR Simpson was in a car chase. I told her I didn't care, never heard of him. She told me, “I thought you liked football. He's a famous NFL player.“ Clarity hit.

You mean OJ Simpson?”
Yeah, that's it.” I ran into the house and the TV was on either CNN or CNBC already.

My grandparents had two English language channels. CNN and CNBC. CNBC wasn't purely a markets channel at this point. At least the international version wasn't. I watched the chase on TV for a long time, completely fascinated. It wasn't live, in fact it was delayed about six hours but wow. NFL legend and all-time great on the run for murder. It had the added flavor of being a little bit of home in a foreign land. The US was hosting the World Cup, which I watched live on TV, but I wasn't that into soccer. I connected with OJ. I heard him on TV broadcasts and saw him on car rental commercials all the time.

I assumed he was innocent that summer. Of course all the information and evidence wasn't available to me, I just went with my heart. I liked OJ and by golly I didn't like murderers. So he had to be innocent. After a day or so I forgot all about it and went about my vacation.

The trial went on forever. The murders were in June of 1994. The trial didn't begin until January of 1995. The verdict was not announced until October 1995. A ten month trial. 17 months between arrest and acquittal. I wasn't one of those people who watched Court TV all day obviously. I mean school was in session. But I did begin watching the evening news daily in the 8th grade. Even after the trial, news became important to me. So much so that I make my living in TV news.

So from watching the news it was pretty clear to me that OJ Simpson murdered Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman. But the thing is there were so many teachers that publicly supported OJ in my school.

The verdict was announced and teachers could be heard cheering the outcome. I was stunned. Clearly this guy did it! My teachers weren't dumb. They had to have known this. I believed that there were two possible reasons for them to openly celebrate the acquittal of a killer.

The first was really simple. They did not want to appear racist. Not much explanation needed for this. Rodney King and the LA Riots were just a few years before. Racial tensions were brought into the spotlight again, frail feelings on the subject were extra sensitive. They knew in their hearts OJ did it but were afraid to be seen as a racist to openly call him a killer.

The second possible reason is a little more complicated. The perception was (is) that a black man could never be found not guilty in the murder of a pretty white woman. That innocent black men are convicted all the time. That if OJ Simpson, despite common sense, could get off, it would show that the United States has progressed so much.

I can understand that thinking. In fact, I know that I suffer from white guilt myself. I root for minorities over whites, all other things being equal. But in a capital murder case, this is ridiculous. Justice was not served. Clearly the prosecution must have been incompetent. Surely the Jury had a very broad definition of “reasonable doubt.” To root for a killer to walk away does not do anything to make up for past racist actions. All it does is piss on the memory of the victims. Yes, OJ was found not guilty. This didn't prove that racism was no longer a problem. It had more to do with OJ's financial situation. He was able to hire not just one or two great attorneys, but an entire team. The acquittal did not remove racial bias or lift anybody up. All it did was offer up Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman as sacrifices to make some people feel better about themselves.

Today many liberals like myself do this to a degree. Affirmative action is fine but quotas are harmful. We should all be held to a high standard. We should be held accountable. There may be horrible or few choices afforded some, but we still make them. To baby a class of individuals does nobody any favors. Is it not just a patriarchy to overly protect a group and make excessive excuse when somebody falls short? You want to be fair and even give a little leg up, but not to a point where people are dependent upon your actions. This helps nobody and fosters dependency and resentment. We should fight injustice and for equality and make up for erstwhile infractions, but as the adage goes, two wrongs don't make a right. Proverbs 24:23-25 (MSG)says

It's wrong, very wrong, to go along with injustice.
Whoever whitewashes the wicked gets a black mark in the history books,
But whoever exposes the wicked will be thanked and rewarded.

Of course I guess there was a third possible reason for my teachers celebrating the OJ acquittal. Maybe they actually were dumb?

###

Me holding a framed poster of Michael Irvin. Christmas 1995.

If I had to pick a single song to be the soundtrack to this post it would be...


Comments