Karma in the Moshpit


One summer during college John and I went to Warped Tour. It was a pretty epic lineup. Bad Religion was one of our favorite bands, as was Reel Big Fish. Other bands that I enjoyed that performed were NOFX, MXPX, Flogging Molly, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Anti-Flag, Lagwagon, Something Corporate, No Use for a Name, New Found Glory etc...I can't speak for John, but I'm pretty over pop punk Blink-182 clones by now. Still love Bad Religion, Flogging Molly and Reel Big Fish though.

Warped Tour in Dallas takes place in a parking lot at the Smirnoff Center (now known as the Starplex Pavilion) at fair park in Dallas. Good Charlotte were performing at one of the main stages. John and I didn't care about them. We hung out waiting for Bad Religion to come out on the stage right next door. We sat down in the lot waiting, we were gonna have a great spot for the show. Good Charlotte had to stop their set. Somebody had gotten hurt in the mosh pit. Joel or Benji Madden called out for an ambulance to get the kid. John and I though it was humorous. Who gets hurt at a Good Charlotte show? After a few minutes they started back up and the kids were having fun.

Funny thing though. This was a touring festival with strict set times. In the middle of “Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous” Bad Religion came out on the stage. John and I immediately stood up and got so close to the stage. I don't remember what song they opened with but as as soon the crowd at the Good Charlotte stage realized that Bad Religion were on they rushed on over. Good Charlotte were left alone.

The next March, John, Maurice, and I went to see Bad Religion again. They were playing the Bronco Bowl in Dallas. Also playing were the ska band Less than Jake (one of my all time favorites) and a couple bands we didn't really know, Hot Water Music and Recover.

So I was driving to the show and it was really cold. In fact, I nearly wrecked the car in Dallas when the sun reflected off ice on the highway just right as to temporarily blind me. No cool. We made it to the venue in once piece though.

After making it inside the Bronco Bowl we looked around. Oh my gosh. We seemed to be the oldest people there! What?! Bad Religion have been around since I was born. We were 20 and 21 years old. These teeny boppers must have fallen in love with Bad Religion when they opened for Blink 182 a year or so ago (that's disgraceful by the way).

Recover opened and were pretty forgettable. At the end of their set the drummer threw a drumstick into the crowd and I caught it. Only so did some 17-year-old guy. We both had it. I had a good grip with one hand and the other guy had two-hands on it struggling. I didn't really want to fight him for it. So I let go, “Yes! A souvenir!” he shouted. He didn't thank me. Hot Water Music came and went.
Less Than Jake came out for their set and it was damn good. Their set design had TV's with color bars on them. Some fool was commenting about rainbows and faggots. I informed him that those were broadcast color bars. The music was tight and friggin awesome. They are a rare band where the drummer is the primary song writer and they don't have a lead singer, their guitarist and bassist split up the vocals pretty evenly. Their songs really speak to me, more so when I was in my early twenties.

I know, I know, I know/I know just who I am/It was in my head/Is that I don't really give a damn/Just who you think I am/Just who I am, just who I am/(Just who I!)/
I know there comes a time/When you lost faith/In what you believe inside/(What you have inside.)/And did you know somehow/It's just not smart enough to start/(It gets up from the ground.)/
The other day, this girl/Came up to me and asked/If she used to go to school with me/I kinda laughed. She said/Wasn't I the guy her friends always/Called a waste of time/
I know, I know, I know/I know just who I am/It was in my head/Is that I don't really give a damn/Just who you think I am/Just who I am, just who I am/(Just who I!)/
Well it's time to think about/Where I'll be ten years from now/(Ten years from now!)/I wonder if the media knows/I call myself washed up, not watered down/(Just water on the ground!)/
The other night, this guy/Came up to me downtown/And can't believe after five years/I'm still around. And he said/Wasn't I the guy who walked these streets all night/Such a waste of time/
I know, I know, I know/I know just who I am/It was in my head/Is that I don't really give a damn/Just who you think I am/

Less than Jake “Last One Out of Liberty City” from Hello Rockview (1998)


They write about growing up, hanging out and awkwardness of youth.

For Bad Religion John and I were in the pit pumped to see the stars of the night. The entire time Maurice had spent in a front row seat. So John and I were crammed in the pit as Greg Graffin and the gang trotted out. They opened with a crisp rendition of Stranger than Fiction. Two minutes or so of jumping up and down in unison with a crowd of strangers. After the song Greg started talking and I looked around. John was sitting in the seat next to Maurice with his head low. I went to him and asked what was up? He said, “Somebody fell into me. My knee is effed up!” Bad Religion started playing Kyoto Now! and I ran back to the crowd. They followed it up with Super Sonic and other songs from their new album the Process of Belief. It was amazing. They went through all the classics: Generator, Infected, 21st Century Digital Boy, You. They came toward the end and Greg said, “This is the point where we leave and you shout for more. We make you wait and then come out for an encore. We're going to speed that up a little bit so we can play an extra song.” They then ran off the stage and immediately came back on. They played I Want to Conquer the World, Atomic Garden and American Jesus.

After the show John wanted to just sit and wait. He wanted no part of walking and stopping and spending 20 minutes trying to leave. Eventually ushers told us to move on. Maurice and I walked by John when he was ready to head out. We made our way gingerly to the parking lot. Man, it was like 28 degrees outside. Oh crap. The door to my 1986 Chrysler Labaren hadn't shut all the way. The dome light had been on for like five hours. The car wouldn't start. Great.

Walking near us in the parking lot were a couple of dudes. I asked if they could park next to me and jump start the car. They agreed and asked where my jumper cables were. I didn't have any. Crap. The driver looked annoyed and retrieved the cables from the trunk of his car.

We made it home to our apartment style dorms. These were newly built residence halls called New Pride Apartments. John, Maurice, and myself lived there. Nick lived there for a while until he had to leave school for a while, then Lu Bledsoe moved in with us. Living here was certainly a point of pride. These buildings were certainly aptly named. John ended up getting surgery done on his knee. It was much more serious than I thought it was. He had it done so fast I didn't know it was happening until he actually posted pics of his scoped knee on the fridge. I emailed Bad Religion explaining the story thinking that they'd send an autograph or something. That didn't happen though. Guess being rock stars, you are a little busy for stuff like reading every correspondence you get.

There were certainly a series of events around this concert, but I loved the show. John surely regretted having his knee busted by a teeny bopper and missing out on the great music due to his pain. Perhaps it was payback for making fun of the injured kid in the Good Charlotte pit? Whatever it was, it absolutely was unforgettable.
Yes, I still have a ticket stub from 2002.





Comments