Battling the Devil

Not the slide discussed in this post.
https://www.pinterest.com/designingedu/old-playground-equipment/

The first house we lived at in Bonham wasn't the house on 8th Street. For possibly a year or so we lived on South 3rd Street. I don't remember if my sister rode the bus to school to Baily English but I do remember that my mom would walk me south on Bills Street to Stephenson School. That's where I went to Head Start and Kindergarten.

I remember going home from school annoyed all the time because the teachers rewarded students who slept during nap time with a jolly rancher candy. I never got one. I never slept, but I'd always forcefully squish my eyes shut to appear to sleep. My teacher never fell for it though and I was repeatedly denied my hardened translucent hunk of flavored corn syrup. If you ask my mom about Stephenson School, she'll tell you that more than once I ran away from school to home and she'd march me right up Bills Street back to school. But I digress.

Directly across the street from our house was Stephenson Park. As a 4 or 5 year old, living across the street from a park was a godsend. The place was probably an acre. It had the staples: a swing set, a spider web dome, animal rockers, a slide, and a merry-go-round. Most of the park was an open field. I'd occasionally play football there with the bigger kids.

Merry-go-rounds have got to be outlawed now, I mean they are particularly murderous. They did have the potential to be the most fun piece of equipment though. Trying to make your friend vomit from holding on for dear life due to the pressure of 7 G's pulling you away as you spin in circles at fifty million RPM's can be exhilarating, but you could lose your grip and fly off. And this wasn't a namby pamby playground like we have today. The ground was solid, no mulch to break your fall. Not to mention the possibility of being sucked in under the merry-go-round and getting your clothes wrapped up in that. Everybody knew somebody who knew somebody whose neighbor had a kid that that happened to. It was important to respect the merry-go-round.

Stephenson Park today.  Pretty much how I remember it.
maps.google.com

The slide was my favorite at Stephenson Park. It was blue and 50 feet tall. Okay, it seemed like it was that tall at the time as I was like three feet tall myself, but it was at least six feet up there. It was a circle with round walls encapsulating it. In the middle of the circle was a six or eight inch diameter hole that went all the way down who knows how deep. On one end of the platform was a ladder, on the other was a shiny metal slide set at 45 degrees. At the right time of day it was blinding as the midday sun blasted it with light rays. One dared not go down that slide in shorts in the summer. The center of the platform was supported by a pole. This explains the hole in the floor of the platform.

I don't know why, but I would pray to God on that slide. I may have been influenced by the church I was attending. An old lady would pick my sister and me up on Sundays and take us to church. It may have been Calvary Baptist Church? I don't really know for sure. But when I was on the slide by myself I said a quick “Dear God, please forgive me for my sins and help me throughout my life. Amen.” And go about battling unseen enemies. The slide made a perfect imaginary sentry tower. The prayer was vague, lacking any specifics whatsoever. And it wasn't a prayer of protection or guidance. It was merely an uncompelled obligatory acknowledgment to God. I admitted that I am not perfect and needed help. It was perfectly suitable for a boy my age.

If I ever said the prayer twice in a day though, or suspected I may have, I was in trouble. I developed a superstition with my wham bam drive by quick shot prayers. An unfounded fear with truly mysterious origins manifested itself upon my innocent impressionable heart. I somehow prayed to Satan if I said my fast prayer to God twice. I had to rectify this situation quickly. I would take the middle finger on my right hand and stick it down the hole in the slide tower floor and “flip off” Satan. I'd say a quick, “fuck you Devil” and remove my finger before the Devil bit it off. I'd say my prayer again. Apparently once was good, twice was bad, three times was good again. Everybody knows that the Devil loves even numbers, fears odd numbers.

But what if I only suspected I said the prayer twice, but only did it once? When I did my post Devil cursing prayer it would have actually been twice, not thrice! That was a chance I had to take. The slide fort would protect me.

I don't remember if I quit that insanity on my own, or if it naturally ended when we moved to the house on 8th Street. Even when I had quit the church and turned agnostic, I would still say that prayer or a version of it for many years. It was still ritualistic, but more conventional. I'd say it at bed time. It wasn't habitual but still obligatory. I couldn't sleep until I gave a nod and thanks to the Creator, even if I wasn't sure if He was actually even there. The fact that he might be there made it necessary to thank Him. And I did.  

###


My dad and me at a different playground. May 1985.


If I had to pick a single song to be the soundtrack of this post it would be...




Comments