Highway Songs and Moving Pictures



The Rooster Club was located in downtown Bonham. Across the street near the post office was a movie theater. It was a single screen building with an old fashioned marquee and was named The American. Often my sister and I were sent there for a Saturday morning matinee. By the time I was watching movies there, I don't think they showed first run movies. I only remember specifically seeing Snow White and Bambi at the theater. The tickets were a dollar each and the popcorn was hot and the butter was immaculate. The velvet curtains were wrinkled perfect and framed the huge screen beautifully. The speakers popped and there were more than a couple scratches and burns on the film. I'm sure these reels were 50 years old. Who knows how many brain wraps they suffered?

The American. 1990
http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/22602


To see new movies, Dad and sometimes Mom would drive us half an hour away to Sherman Texas. They had a theater with multiple screens, so there were options. We didn't usually have popcorn or candy or soda there. That was expensive. After the show we'd swing by the McDonald's at K-Mart or the Taco Mayo (a regional Taco Bell clone). I remember seeing Milo and Otis, Turner and Hooch, Willow, Father of the Bride, Batman, The Freshman, Oscar, Sister Act, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, Back to the Future 2 and Joe Versus the Volcano.





It wasn't just kid's movies we watched. Dad let us watch “his movies” too. We saw Rated R movies like The Rookie, Phantom of the Opera, Lord of the Flies, The First Power, The Hand that Rocks the Cradle, Unlawful Entry, Cliffhanger, Total Recall and Terminator 2. I almost saw Freddie's Dead but they were out of the 3D glasses that the movie previews on TV promised so I doubled back and movie hopped into Terminator 2 with my Dad and sister.



We didn't do a ton of stuff as a family but going to the movies was one of them. Always my Dad, sister and me. And if my mom was off of work, she'd join us. Until my brother was born. Then she was stuck at home watching the little rugrat. Sitting in the dark, eyes glued to the silver screen and experiencing the same stuff for the first time in unison. We did it together. I loved it.

It was always dark on our drive home. US Highway 82 was years from being built so we took State Highway 56 eastbound. I never fell asleep. It's usually impossible for me to sleep in a car or even a plane. Country music hits like “Deeper than the Holler” by Randy Travis, “I Sang Dixie” by Dwight Yoakam or Clint Black's “A Better Man” were the soundtrack as I gazed out the window of the backseat in my Dad's 2 door silver Firebird. I'd stare at the clouds passing over the moon and imagined there was a highway connecting the continental US to Europe and we were driving to Germany to see my Oma and Opa. If I tried real hard I would actually believe it during that 30 minute drive that seemed to last hours. Sometimes I'd count the reflector guide posts on the side of the highway. It was just something to do because I couldn't sleep. I didn't know what they were, they just fascinated me.

Sometimes I would just count the reflector guide posts as we drove home.


I almost liked the car ride as much as the movie. The radio was on but was background music, not loud. Not obstructing the atmosphere. I love the sound of driving, it's soothing like rain on a tin roof. To me it's beautiful ambient noise. My imagination or counting combined with auditory splendor fused into blissful serenity. Whatever problems I had were dissolved. All that was relevant was the night and the comfort procured by my sensate mobile solitude. I was alone yet in the presence of my sister and father. I was comfortable.

By the time I was in middle school The American had been condemned. By the time I graduated college it had collapsed, sending bricks into the streets of downtown. It was gone like another ancient downtown building, Bewley's Five and Dime, which would burn down a few years later. 

Bewley's Five and Dime. 2003
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/556124253961552172/?lp=true


While I was in high school, a new theater opened in Bonham. My longtime friend Nick worked there a couple years. It was the Majestic 6. I'd watch Apollo 13 and the horrible movie Congo back-to-back with my best friend Bryce. When Lucasfilm released the Star Wars Special Edition movies I'd take my little brother to see all of them. Just a few years ago I took my two nephews to see the cartoon movie TMNT as well. I went with my wife and sister and her husband to witness horror movie event of the summer of 2003 Freddy vs. Jason. Oh my gosh I loved Freddy and Jason movies ten years before, it was a dream come true. 

Because I was older and could see things clearer, it didn't have the same aura or carry the same magnitude as The American or the theater in Sherman. But I'm sure it represented something just as salient to somebody younger than myself.


I will always love the movies. I spent three years working at Commerce Cineplex in college. I'd meet my wife at a movie theater in 2006. It is true that you can nearly recreate the experience in your home now, but nothing will ever top attending a show in person with those you love as well as complete strangers. Or the smell of theater popcorn, even if it's from somebody else's tub.


###

Dad and Me. July 1982.


If I had to pick a single song for the soundtrack of this post it would be...


Comments