Fake News

Rant alert. Any views expressed here are my own and do no represent my family, friends or employers.  I maintain the ability to be objective in my professional work and strive for fairness in any coverage I contribute to.  


CNN used to be legitimate. Now they are a joke. For years now, they have been laughable in breaking news situations. Guys like Wolf Blitzer “speculate” on what may be going on based on no actual facts. I have seen that play out over and over. Ten minutes into coverage of a mass shooting and he's talking about possible motive. Really? This happens all too frequently. CNN is supposedly the world leader in news but they are repeatedly getting it wrong. That's fine though because we can count on their continuing non-spot news coverage right? Wrong.

Since inauguration CNN has been probably 90% anti-Trump garbage. I get that he's a bad guy and does stupid things. I get that. But my goodness, there're other things going on. At some point CNN was pretty straight forward. They were pretty down the middle. Yes, they were called the Clinton News Network for years, but that was just the snowflakes on the right having a sad. Facts can sometimes seem to have a leftist bent if you really really really want them to be wrong. But the Leftist CNN perception of two years ago was not reality. The reality today though, is this: CNN wants to be Fox News Left. That role is already taken up though. We don't need two MSNBC's. Rachel Maddow is huge, she's tops in her demo and regularly squashesHannity. CNN doesn't have Rachel Maddow though. They have Don Lemon and Chris Cuomo. They ain't Rachel Maddow.

Following the disaster of November 8, 2016, after I recovered I promised myself that I would not be a miserable person. For years on social media, and at family gatherings, many conservatives I know obsessed over Obama. They hated his guts. Not just that he was elected twice as president by considerable margins, they pretty much hated the fact that he even existed. They would tell me he was the anti-Christ and was just this terrible person. He hates America. They'd share memes and conspiracy theories and “alternative facts” a lot. For eight years. To a point where you see them and you thought “that person is angry. He's miserable. I'll avoid him.” I cannot do that. For the most part I have avoided this. I will give an opinion on occasion but am definitely not like those despondent, insufferable people. I see a little of that in my news-feeds regarding Trump, but nowhere near as much.

I recently got a free trial of Sirius XM radio. I gave the progressive station a try. It's exactly the same as Right Wing Hate Radio. How can people listen to that? Always angry. Always blaming “others” for everything. No balance, no perspective. I don't know how anybody does it, left or right.   A positive thing about that? There's only one progressive station as opposed to numerous right wing ones. There are just as many liberals out there as conservatives, but the radio shows are much less popular. Are liberals less likely to be manipulated than the conservatives? Maybe, or perhaps they don't listen to radio. Conservatives do skew older (pay attention to what commercials on FNC advertise!).

For CNN to pick up the mantle and contribute to the fight is regrettable. I watch CNN and don't know what's real and what's simply blowing smoke up my rear. Trump is right, it is Fake News (just because you disagree with it, doesn't make it fake. It's fake because it's trivial).

I don't want news that reinforces my beliefs. That's indoctrination. I want the truth. Even if I don't like it. I wish more Americans felt this way. It seems the only place I can get actual honest news is NPR. We need a citizenry that's informed. Informed to make good decisions at the ballot box and at the kitchen table. Not a citizenry that's just at the back end of the echo chamber.

###

If I were to pick a single song to represent this post it would be...





My sister and me December 1985. Look at my face, I may have been 4, but I could spot bullshit.

Comments