Man on the Ladder 5: Labors of Love



Previous Posts:




“Why do you have so many ladders Daddy?” asked Margaret, Joseph's oldest daughter.
“Because Maggie, I need ladders of different lengths. If one is too short for my job, I cannot reach where I need to go. If one is too long, it becomes just as dangerous. It is best to have too many ladders and be prepared.”
“But they take up so much space in your wagon!”
“Yes they do. But it is certainly worth the bother if I am assured perspective and safety. I need to climb up to be at places at my work. I need to be able to see my area from another angle. I need to take in my task.”
“Mom says you had better be home on time for dinner or you will have to fight the dogs for scraps!”
“Come here Maggie,” he laughed and lifted and tossed her to the heavens and caught her gently, “I'll be home in time for dinner.” He kissed her on the forehead and climbed up onto his wagon. Joseph grabbed the reins and was off to work. He had a house to finish roofing. He only needed one ladder for that particular job, but brought three. He never knew when something may come up.

He would do this on his own. His employees would not be needed. He took pride in his shingle work. Joseph trusted no one in this area of construction. He had a certain way it had to be done to meet his standards and no one could ever pass his inspections. So he did this himself. He took pain staking care to provide his clients with the best possible home he could build.

Joseph saw his work as a calling. He bled with his hands. He built with his hands. He honored God through his work. He was not a proud man but took great care to preserve his reputation as a man you could count on to not cut corners, to do the the job right. Joseph's work was the third most important thing in his life behind only his devotion to God and to his family.

Joseph honored God and served him proudly. He knew the pathway to heaven was like a ladder. The steps were not made of acts. They were actually steps made from faith. Grace is given by faith, not works.  Joseph felt he must honor God by following his word. Part of honoring God was to make his family look to Christ for salvation. Another way to honor God was to work hard and with great diligence. Joseph certainly worked hard and was deliberate and thorough. Of this there was never any doubt.



###
Next


Comments