Pennies, a President and a Dirty Old man




Ralph Hall was my representative my whole life in Texas.  He was first elected to the US Congress in 1980 and served my district until 2015.  About every two years we’d get these little tokens in the mail.  The tokens were discs with pennies encased in them.  I thought they were the coolest thing ever.  Of course, I had no idea who he was or what he did.  But he had to be amazing. 



I never thought about the guy.  I mean, what difference does an out of town politician make in a kid’s day to day life, right?  Outside election season he was out of sight out of mind.  December 1998 Hall joined a handful of other Democrats (Ralph Hall was a blue dog Democrat by the way) in voting to impeach President Bill Clinton.  Clinton was a popular president and I supported him.  Looking back though, this should not have been a surprise.  My district was super conservative as was Hall.  He also apparently did good by them by bringing home the bacon.

Ralph Hall, official portrait.


Years would come and go.  Hall would continue to get re-elected.  I voted for him twice in general elections.  Incumbents are hard to beat after all.  Then 2004 came along.  After over 20 years as one of the most conservative Democrats in the US Congress, Hall announced he would switch parties.  He cited the fact that the majority party, now Republicans, refused to allocate funds to his district because he was a Democrat.  Rather than politickingand compromising and schmoozing, he simply switched teams.  He would finish his term as a Republican and run for re-election as a Republican.
I was livid.  I wrote a letter to the editor of our small local paper on why I felt betrayed and how he should step down until re-elected.  I felt I was fair, honest and well-spoken in my correspondence.  It did not get published.  Other than a small note mentioning his defection, the matter was dropped.  Whatever. 

Hall easily won re-election.  Now, I guess, he was honest with his constituents.
Before election day though, I had the opportunity to interview Mr. Hall face to face.  I had been working at a TV station since February, a month after Hall’s departure from team blue.  It was now June 2004.  I had moved past that betrayal from the party switch.  I was going to cover some Republican Party shindig in Trenton Texas (or was it Leonard Texas?).  It was an event to boost Laurie Blake, candidate for judge.  She was a carpetbagger and ended up being embarrassing as a judge. 

Hall served on the Energy Committee and I felt I would shake things up a bit.  How these things work is you shoot Broll and get a couple minutes with the Representative.  You ask questions that are…softball. Stuff like, “how does it feel to be awarded the key to the city?”  I asked that question to be sure, and several others just like it.
Before we started though, I had to wait my turn.  He was already getting interviewed by Noelle Newton from the rival station.  He wrapped that up and I started rolling.  As I mic’d him up we introduced ourselves.

“Hello sir, my name is Jeremy Jones with Channel 12.”
“Good ol’ Channel 12.  Hello Jeremy, nice to meet you.”
“I see you already spoke with KTEN, with Noelle Newton.”
“Yes sir.  She’s real easy to talk to.  Real easy to look at.”

I thought it was hilarious and I completely agreed. 

I had gotten his audio levels during our little exchange and asked if he was ready to go.  He was and I shot him some easy questions, not really paying attention or really caring about his answers.  A moment into our interview his phone rang and he said, “I have to take this.” I told him no problem and stopped rolling.  It was a brief call.  I wasn’t listening in but I remember this brief part of the conversation, “yes George, we sure lost a great one.  I’m gonna miss him.” 

Earlier that day it had been announced that Ronald Reagan had passed away.  Turns out fellow World War II vet George HW Bush had called Ralph Hall in the middle of my interview.  I remember in the first grade “voting for president” and I selected him over Michael Dukakis.  It was an easy pick to make, I could pronounce “Bush”. “Dukakis” not so much.  A few years later I took part in another national election. I picked blue in a poll as the next m&m.  Sorry pink and purple, you suck.  Apparently until 2000 I was good at picking winners.



I started rolling again and asked my “gotcha” question.  It was something about petroleum regulations caught up in committee.  I have no idea anymore.  Basically, it’s not a typical question a small town local reporter is going to ask a representative.  I guess I just wanted to see how he’d respond to a real question, maybe I’d earn his respect for not being a cookie cutter dolt asking a meaningless question?  He responded okay and crap…I had no follow up.  Go figure.  It's always the followup that gets the meat.

I played back the exchange about Noelle Newton for coworkers and they all got a kick out of it.  He was such a dirty old man (I don’t say that despairingly, my beloved Opa is a dirty old man too) I never had the guts to tell Noelle about it though.  She eventually got a job in Tulsa like I did, but I never actually ever saw her up here.  Unlike in Sherman, I’m relegated to work at the station only in Tulsa.

Ralph Hall would get re-elected four or five more times after that.  And yes, he still mailed out encased cents.  But in 2014, after seven decades of having at least one WWII vet in Congress, Mr. Hall would lose in a primary to a teabagger candidate.  He was the last WWII vet, and at age 91 was the oldest “sitting member of congress” ever.  He probably should have left congress ten years earlier anyway.  Hall relied on “traditional” mailers.  Those stupid coins and name recognition.  He rested on his laurels.  He was complacent and lazy.  His opponent invested in new media and actually fought.  Hall was out of touch and took his voters for granted.

As of this writing Ralph Hall is still alive at the age of 95.  The brief time we met he was certainly affable, pleasant.  From what I can gather he genuinely wanted to serve his constituents, though I may have disagreed how he did it.  After he does pass away, he will have a lasting legacy.  Lake Ralph Hall has been in the works for over 25 years and will cost upwards of half a billion dollars.  It will certainly make its mark on the small communities it will surround and for whom it will provide water.  Even so, I will always remember him for those penny filled discs we’d get in the mail.

###




Comments