The Diamond: A Little Perspective




My amazing cat Turtle and me.



So Kharla rescued a cat that I would name Turtle.  He was an itty-bitty kitty.  We thought he was a she until the doc informed us he was a he.  Turtle was certainly unpredictable and 100% awesome.  I was proud of his name too.  I thought it was original and amazing.  Not long after adopting him though, I happened to be bored and watched an episode of The People’s Court (I hadn’t seen that show since the days of Judge Wapner).  There was a case where a guy had a problem with a neighbor’s cat.  The name?  Turtle.  Who would have guessed?

Before I even got Turtle, Kharla and I were at Southern Ag.  Southern Ag is a chain of about a half dozen pet stores in the Tulsa area.  We were there to get her cat Patrick a new collar or something.  Kharla came across a prize kiosk thingy.  One of those booths where you give out all your information short of your social security number for a chance at a prize.  I didn’t do it and I discouraged her from doing it as well.  “They don’t even really give away prizes,” I implored, “They just collect and sell your information.”  Turns out I was only half right.

A few months later I get a cat and Kharla gets a call.  She won four tickets to see the Texas Rangers and a one-night stay at the Sheraton Hotel within walking distance of the stadium.  She called up her friend Jessica in OKC and her boyfriend Tim would join us as well.  I would buy Turtle a brand-new ID tag and collar and he wore it for the first time the day we left for Arlington.

About four and a half hours after departure we arrived at the hotel right on time to meet up with Jessica and Tim.  We checked in and walked down to the ball park.  Upon getting our tickets scanned at the entrance and entering the stadium security was “randomly” choosing people to get patted down and have a magnetic wand waved around their person.  Tim happened to be the only random guy in our immediate vicinity to get stopped.  Okay, he’s the random guy I guess.  But when the crowd is like 90% white and a black guy gets stopped it’s curious.  To say the least it doesn’t look good.  And Jessica rightly let her displeasure known. Loudly.  Tim was calm like it’s just another one of those things he goes through.  Been there, done that.  He got it over with and we were on our way to our seats. 

The Rangers were bad that year.  Still a few seasons away from Jon Daniels making the deals that got my beloved Rangers to the World Series in back-to-back seasons.  Despite the sub-500 record this was a good game.  My team won 8-5 thanks to a huge 5-run first inning.  Marlon Byrd accounted for 5 runs thanks to a double and a triple.  He’s not the central player to this story though. 

Nice seats behind home plate.  You can kinda make out the
Dominican Republic flag out there in honor of Sammy Sosa.
This game was the game the Rangers chose to honor SammySosa.  Sammy had recently hit his 600th career home run.  There was this grand pregame ceremony and Sosa had a celebrity there to build him up and introduce him.  None other than Vin Diesel.  Really?  The crowd loved it though.  Probably explains how a bad team could draw a sellout 44,000 fans in 95-degree weather.  Xander Cage really sold Sammy as a great guy, a great player.  Got great pops from the crowd.  But Sammy Sosa is not the player central to this story either.

It’s a guy on the visiting team.  All-star catcher Victor Martinez of the Cleveland Indians.  Victor is a solid catcher who can hit.  So good in fact, that after 16 seasons he still plays in the majors at age 39.  I’d get a good look at V-Mart too.  The tickets we got weren’t cheap tickets.  They were nice seats a couple rows back behind home plate.  There was a net up in front of us, but barely.  We had our hot dogs, brats, and sodas.  We sang “Deep in the Heart of Texas” , we watched mascots race between innings.  A few nice innings of baseball made us forget the problems we had with security getting in.  The home team putting some runs on the board will certainly help ease tension.

So, we watched starting pitcher Jamey Wright get shelled.  Oooed and awed flyballs with warning track powers.  Booed bad calls and all those traditional baseball experiences.  But the wave is where I draw the line.

Victor Martinez was at the plate.  I watched just about every pitch so far that game.  Balls, strikes, hits.  But to my left I noticed an abomination.  Approaching rapidly was an avalanche of synchronized asinine activity.  Ladies and gentlemen, approaching from the 3rd base side of the stadium we have… the wave!  I announced my disapproval to my friends with great chagrin.  Looking to my left I dressed it down as stupid.  No way would I participate.  Now, back to the action.  I straightened my neck to look forward to the batter.  As my head turned, out of my peripheral vision on my right side was a blurry fast moving white orb streaking and pain.  The orb slowed as the baseball bounced off my right arm and behind us.  I have been to maybe a dozen pro baseball games and never got a foul ball.  Now I was hit by one! A powerful blast slammed into my arm out of nowhere.  My deltoid was burning.  Throbbing.  I lifted my shirt, there was no bruise yet.  The pain mostly subsided within an inning or so.  I was mostly mad about getting hit and not getting the ball.  Victor Martinez was now going to be infamous in my world and I still hate the wave.

After the game we walked back to the hotel.  By bed time I was developing a dark bruise.  Maybe a half-dollar sized bruise.  We went to sleep and in the morning, drove to the Fort Worth Zoo before going our separate ways back home.  Jessica and Tim went to Oklahoma City while Kharla and I went back to Tulsa.  I dropped Kharla off at her house and checked my bruise.  It was now bigger than the size of the offending baseball.  Within a few days it would be a yellow brown.  The pain would linger for a week.

I went home.  I needed to check on Turtle.  The kitty was still so small.  So cute.  The novelty of having a kitten was still strong.  I got home to hug the little fella—if he was in the mood.  He wasn’t.  He needed to be held though.  He needed rescuing.  Apparently, I had his collar on too loose, but not loose enough to come off.  Somehow Turtle’s jaw was strapped open.  I guess while trying to remove it, he got his collar past his mouth but it slipped and got wedged in there.  The pressure put on his jaw must have been terrible.  I have no idea how long he’d been like that.  It could have been 30 minutes, it could have been 30 hours.  Later I’d notice blood on his ID tag.  That made me feel even worse.  Suddenly my right arm pain didn’t matter anymore.

Over the next couple days, I noticed something else.  Turtle couldn’t eat.  And had a real hard time drinking.  He’d take a sip and his jaw would just hang open. He had to use his paw to lift it back up, to close his mouth.  I feared he broke his jaw but his vet said he’s likely just real sore.  He gave me some pain meds and an eye dropper to give to him.  Within a few days Turtle was good as new.  Though he would develop a scar on his jaw by his lip.

On Wednesday I went back to work.  I told coworkers about the tragedies Turtle and I survived. Not really tragedies, but in my little world they were bad news.  My colleagues politely emphasized with me.  Later that day I heard about a real tragedy.  Tulsa Drillers 1st base coach Mike Coolbaugh died at a baseball game in Arkansas.  A line drive hit him in the neck Sunday, the day after the Rangers game I had been at. 

I realized that I wasn’t unlucky. Nothing bad truly happened to me or to Turtle.  I was blessed.  A bruise on my arm could have been much worse.  A sore jaw could have been much worse.  These anecdotes were just that, singular events in my life that are just one of many. Mike Coolbaugh, a man who had been on the field for hundreds of games had his life suddenly ended because of similar circumstances.  It wasn’t just another day in his life. It was the last day in his life. His wife would be husband-less. His kids fatherless. 

Until I heard about what happened to him I looked at the ball hitting me as a bad thing that happened.  But it wasn’t.  It was a reminder that I’m alive and that I am fortunate to have memories I can look back at.  I can reflect on what could have happened and be grateful.  I spent time with friends and my cat was okay.  My girlfriend became my wife.  The Rangers would make it to the World Series twice.  And at least the guy that fouled the ball off me was an all-star and not a scrub getting a cup of coffee making the event even better.  


###

I still have the ticket stub!



Comments