A Rude Awakening Pt. 2: City Upon a Hill




High School, Junior High, and Elementary School were simple routines.  For the most part it was the same seven classes every day.  Five days a week.  One hour.  College?  Still a routine, just broken up.  College was much more catered to your personal schedule.  Typically, I took five classes.  You’d have classes on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday for one hour each day.  Or you’d have them on Tuesday and Thursday for ninety minutes each day.  So, instead of going to class 35ish hours a week it was more like 15 hours.  And yo paid for it.  But you know, you pretty much set your own schedule and picked your own classes.  Except for the core classes.  Everybody must take those.  History 101 was one of them.

Dr. Messer taught my History 101 class. This was a two day a week class around 9am.  I remember the first day very clearly.  I was a freshman in my first semester, it was the end of August.  I didn’t know anybody in my class, so I just picked a random spot and parked myself.  My bag at my feet and a pencil on my desk.  9 am came around and a guy walked in pushing a bike to the front of the class.  He was tall and slender.  He removed his helmet and revealed long wavy hair.  Somebody commented loudly, “Oh shit! It’s Kenny G!”  The man at the front of the class rolled his eyes.  He dangled his helmet onto the handle bar.  “Hello class! I’m Dr. Peter Messer!”  Crap.  He’s in class 30 seconds and our teacher is insulted.  This was going to be rough.

The next words out of his mouth were horrifying.  “Look to your left. Look to your right.  You or one of the two people you just looked at will either fail or drop the course.”  Immediately a person got up, “Oh hell no!”  and left.  I was scared but would stick it out.  That first day of class there were about 35 of us.
I pushed on and didn’t miss a single day of THAT class.  I took notes, read.  Actually studied.  I loved history and English because it’s not typically multiple choice or fill in the blank.  You had to write and argue.  I read and wrote and pushed through as our class shrunk and shrunk.  The problem with that class was that Dr. Messer treated it as if everybody was a history major.  Most weren’t.  In fact, I’d go on and take three or four advanced history classes with history majors a few years later.  This was harder than all of those classes!

I don’t know what grades everybody was making, but I could tell I was either the best student, or one of the top two.  And I got my butt kicked.  Steven Crutcher also had Dr. Messer’s course.  Just a different class.  He went to school with me in Bonham and was also in the gifted classes  with me.  We talked about the class and he confirmed he was getting crushed too, was a top student as well.  And other folks abandoned his class.  I don’t remember her name, but there was a girl who was also a Radio & Television major and we co-hosted a weekly radio show one semester.  She said she had his class and failed it.  She went so far as to “consider sleeping with him” to pass.  Now, he didn’t proposition her, this was all from her end.  I don’t want to suggest that he even knew about her plan.  She didn’t pursue that action though and took her F.  It blew me away that somebody would even think of doing that!  And not because he kind of looked like Kenny G.

So I just kept plugging away.  By the time we were assigned our final there were twelve of us left.  We started at 35.  Messer was wrong.  Instead of “one of you will fail or drop,” it was more like “One of you will remain”.  It was pathetic.  The topic was something about the theme of early American settlement and colonialism or something.  I don’t even remember.  We had to write an eight  to ten page paper on recurring blablabla.  I ended up going all in with like twelve to fourteen pages. I felt it was articulate, had legit points, and was on target (not like my rambling posts here).  It was not just simply throwing the kitchen sink, but it was close.  I wanted to prove that I paid attention and had a grasp of the class.  I think I did the math and figured I needed an “A” on the final to score a “B” for the class.

A week later I looked online and the grades posted.  I got a “C”.  Damn.  I was easily the second best if not very best student in my class.  I went to the department and retrieved my paper.  And I got a “C” on the exam.  There was, in large red letters, written at the top just one phrase, “City upon a hill!”  Our whole class boiled down to four words and I missed it.  So simply but I guess I wanted, nay, needed to make it more than that.

I’d ask Steven what he got.  He got a “B” in the class.  And he got the “City upon a hill” theme as well.  I wasn’t jealous or bitter.  Steven was a great student, particularly in Math and Sciences.  We were great students in Bonham, getting mostly A’s.  Now in an intro class in college I got a “C” and he a “B”.  Between the “D” I got in Algebra and the “C” I got in History, this was easily my worst semester.  I would take classes even more seriously.  I’d pay attention to the details and I’d go and be more successful, making the Dean’s list several times.  Don’t try to over-complicate things.  Keep it simple and defend!  Steven would go on and also do well.  And he’d continue to bum on our couch another couple years. 

###


Comments