Humility and Situational Awareness




Over my 14-month career at KXII I interviewed dozens and dozens of people.  I interviewed police officers, firefighters, politicians, robbery victims, a mom who just had her kidnapped toddler returned.  None stuck out to me as much as a child at a fundraiser in his own honor.
I was sent to some gymnasium in a small Texoma town.  This eight or nine-year-old boy had been in a car accident and was now paralyzed from the neck down.  His medical bills were mounting, and the community had a chili cook-off and carnival.  This was back before the days of GoFundMe and crowd sourcing.  Folks hit the streets, pounded the pavement and took personal time.  Definitely more grassroots but also less efficient.

I found out the kid would be available to interview.  This was much better than just talking to an organizer or parent.  More touching.  Better television.  Personal. I was setting up my camera when butterflies in my stomach began to flutter.  What do I say?  Interviewing a little kid was hard enough for me, but a kid facing a lifetime in a chair?  I was never taught how to approach this.  I didn’t want to be solemn.  In my brief debate in my head I decided to treat him as I would any other kid.  To ask relevant questions and do not treat him different.

“Hello Jacob.  Can I get you to say and spell your name for me?”  He obliged. “Okay, how old are you?”  He answered.  “Are you married, and do you have any kids?”  He didn’t laugh.  He simply said, “No.”  Man.  Usually I’d get a giggle or maybe a “NO!!!!!” This kid said it matter of factly, he was serious.  Man.  He has grown up so much these past couple of months.  I gave up on the silly shtick I’d go through with a “normal” kid.  And I just treated him as an adult.

“Are you surprised with the amount of community support you have gotten?” And a couple of other questions like that.  I just wanted to get out of there.  It was so uncomfortable for me.  This kid was forced to confront his mortality at the age of nine.  It was a sudden event with no warning.  He would no longer be a kid.  He handled his situation with grit, with sobriety.  He was doing what he had to do.  And me, with whatever advantages I had going for me, with a bright tomorrow collapsed in the face of another’s impromptu dignity.  Yeah, I was humbled.

That summer I was sent to a small plane crash in a small rural neighborhood.  A single engine plane went down in somebody’s back yard in Northeast Texas.  I got permission from the homeowner and shot the scene as close as the Texas State Troopers would allow.  I had never been to a plane crash.  I had been to a scene where a truck hauling horses crashed on a bridge.  It was an equine stampede on a Texas highway.  One person and a handful of horses were dead.  This was quite different though.  A father and his son returning from a trip fell from the sky and perished in some field in the middle of nowhere.  The NTSB were on the way.

A spokeswoman (Public Information Officer) for the Troopers was ready for an interview. She stood in a driveway.  There were me, Noelle , and a person from the Sherman newspaper there.  I set my camera up and pulled out a stick mic from my run bag.  As I looked down I heard a “Whoa!!!”  One of the troopers caught my camera as it fell lens first toward the concrete.  Apparently one of the legs of my tripod was a little janky.  The driveway was an incline so that added even more weight to my loose leg.  “Thank you so much! You saved me!”  I told the Trooper.  At least that was saved from crashing into the ground.  As I readjusted my tripod, Noelle proceeded with questions knowing I wasn’t ready to roll.

I quickly recovered, and we asked about the identities of the victims.  The Spokesman said there was an embargo on the information until the next of kin was notified.  She confirmed it was a father and son.  Their last name was Noelle.  Noelle the reporter kind of giggled and said, “Hey!  That’s my name!” Are you kidding me?  Nobody cares!  That’s a “happy coincidence” you should keep to yourself.  I told some co-workers about that and they were like, “Yeah, I could see that.”

A couple years later I moved on to the Tulsa market and Noelle moved up there a little later too.  Still at competing stations.  There would be a job opening at my station as well and I’d put in a good word for a guy name Sam who I worked with at KXII.  He was hired, and all went well, for a while.  One day though I heard people complaining about him.  He was at a scene of a murder-suicide standoff and could be seen grinning and fist pumping.  Excited about the “awesome” video he was getting.  Yes, it’s thrilling to get great stuff money shots.  But try and show a little decorum.  My gosh.  I was embarrassed he was out there representing my station. 

And speaking of behavior at crime scenes, I can’t tell how many times I have heard about a cop or his supervisor being upset because video aired showing him smiling or laughing at a crime scene.  Yes, I will try to cut around it, but if every single shot shows somebody cutting it up, guess what?  That’s what’s going to air.  It isn’t the media out to get them.  It’s a fair and accurate depiction of what the crime scene looked like.

Bottom line is try to show empathy to others.  If whatever situation you are in is routine to you, chances are to an outsider that’s a brand-new experience.  I always preach about perspective.  Yes, in your narrow world something may be funny or sweet, but is it in the bigger picture? Allow yourself to be humbled and let the situation adjust your behavior.  Be aware of what protocol is and always look for the human element.  Other folks are real people.  Act like it.

###





Comments