Be Better




So I was running late for work and made the 41st street exit off highway 75.  As I pulled up to a stop sign there was a car in front of me that idled at the sign.  I was just about to lay on the horn when the driver opened his door and exited his car.  What the heck?  He looked at me and gave a friendly wave and popped his trunk.

It was freezing cold out and I hadn’t even paid attention to the elderly lady who sat on the frigid sidewalk by the stop sign.  After a while panhandlers just become invisible.  Not much different than high grass on the median in June.

The guy pulled a blanket out of his trunk and walked to the old woman wrapping her in the blanket.  I would see tears in her eyes as she mouthed “God bless you.”  The man got back in his car and was off.  I pulled up and made no eye contact.  My heart warmed but my eyes were frozen in a fixed position straight ahead.  I quickly jerked my head left and right watching for oncoming traffic and drove off. 

After being touched by the kindness of a stranger, being gifted the dignity of acknowledgement, I probably reminded her that men like the one in front of me are noticeable because sadly they are rare.  I should be better. I can be better.  Maybe I will be better.


###

Comments