The Man on the Ladder 8: The Shepherd and the Wolf






“Valentine is a nice town, Father Grant.  I see rapid growth in the future here.  Are you prepared for what that brings,” asked the Leader.  He was planting seeds of doubt and anxiety, but his inflection betrayed none of this.

“God will not charge me with duties I cannot fulfill.  I am sure any changes will be incremental and I intend to remain vigilant.  What brings you to Valentine Mr. Winston?”

“Just call me Thom.  If I were concerned with being formal I would not have come to your home, Father Grant.  And, by the way, this coffee is much better than that abomination served at the hotel,” The Leader said.

“Thank you, I have heard they reuse surplus coffee, simply reheating it.  Mine is always fresh.  You did not hear that from me though.  Gossip is not a thing I traffic in,” laughed the Pastor.

That earned a grin, a nod, and a wink.  With his hat on his knee and a hot cup in his hand, The Leader told him, “I am here to enrich your flock and in turn grow your church.  We can make your rock even stronger.”

Alarmed, Otis said, “Our foundation is solid, sir.  Nothing is stronger than our Lord.”

“Begging your pardon, sir.  I meant no offense.  I was inarticulate.  I mean the congregation will benefit from the expansion of the Middle Pacific Railroad.  That will surely fill the coffers here at Bethlehem Lutheran.  I am certain there are a great many deeds and services a large windfall could help finance.  A prosperous laity, a prosperous church.  A growing church.  More souls touched.  Does that sound palatable?”

It was not greed or pride that motivated Otis.  He wanted for courtesy and counsel.  He wanted recognition and to feel like he was helping his community.  He wanted relationships.  It was a vanity for certain, but he wanted to really feel purposeful.  He answered the leader, who had previously introduced himself as Thom Winston, “This sounds excellent, but what exactly is it of me that you are seeking?”

“Your endorsement.  We wish to have your blessing.  We want your sanctuary to host a meeting where my associates and I will present an opportunity to your parishioners.  And should any have reservations, it may be asked of you to sort of nudge them to make the correct decision.  Yes, selling some property to MPR will profit each seller, but each in the community stands to be rewarded peripherally." 

“I can only provide council, sir.  These families bled for their land.  The decisions are theirs alone.  I can give advice, but I do not think my voice will be strong enough to sway strong opposition, perhaps I can shift a wavering soul into your direction, but I do not believe I could shove a staunch opponent your way.”  Otis genuinely felt this way.  While he did not have to be devoutly neutral, he felt uncomfortable overtly sponsoring a business proposal. Especially one at this point that was beneath the surface mysterious.

“I understand this.  But surely you grasp the concept here.  And do not question the gravity of your voice.  It can be a powerful agent.  These folk will receive more than what their property is valued at.  My associates are presenting Mr. Perryman with excellent terms.  I ask you, please advocate for me.  Not for me, no.  For the good people of Valentine.”  The Leader was measured and knew how to push men without overwhelming them.

“We will host this meeting.  I will attend and hear you out.  I will pray on it.  If I am called to advise my flock to accept your terms, I will do so,”  said Otis.  This sounded good, and he wanted to subscribe to it, but he would wait and listen.  The two men shook hands and The Leader set down his cup, put his hat on, and headed back to the hotel.

###

NEXT->

Comments