The Greatest Evil 6



Crom took to sleep for several days.  Upon waking, his eyes opened sorely and to his surprise an eager Valla was standing at the foot of his bed.  Surprised, Crom asked, “Valla, why are you here?  Where is my father?”
                “He is away to tend to family business.  Crom, we need to speak of the sword you found”.
                “The Sword of Omens?  Yes, I must tell father right away.  He will be so proud.”
                “We mustn’t tell Ganesh of the sword.”
                Confused, Crom inhaled deeply and continued, “I do not understand.  Why must I be denied my father’s pride?  He loves me so, but I want him to have a reason to be proud.”
                “He is so much proud of you, Crom.  But he must not be made aware of the Sword.  It has a history.
                “Tell me, I must know.”
                “Very well, I suppose it is your right.  I suppose it is difficult to ask a man to keep such a secret from his father, somebody who you idolize so much.  Are you aware who the Sword of Omens belonged to?  Before she was lost?”  Valla knew very well that Crom knew the answer, but he wanted insight as to Crom’s feelings of such a harsh reality.
                Crom quickly answered, “Ishmael the Unholy.”
                “Yes, and do you know who’s kingdom this used to be?  Before it was your father’s, it belonged to the wretched Ishmael.  Ganesh organized a group of outcasts; I among them, to rise above the tyranny and give the people back their lives.”
                “And that’s exactly why father would be proud of me.”
                “Hold your tongue,” this was the first time Valla had ever spoken to one of Ganesh’s children in such a manner, “The Sword would bring back sore memories of a time of emptiness.  There is more to the story.  Ganesh’s band of men was not popular, and initially, Ishmael was a martyr.  Over the years, the people have forgotten of Ishmael and forgiven Ganesh.  The last thing that your father needs is for news of the legendary Sword to get out because, you see, his ends did not justify his means in some people’s eyes.”
                                Crom did not enjoy hearing this, but he certainly felt he had to hear it.  He nervously asked, “Ganesh ascended upon the throne in an immoral way?  What do you mean?
                “No, it was moral in every way, just some people do not understand.  In order to assure that Ishmael’s offspring could not bring his evil blood to the throne again, we had to kill them.  Certain other sacrifices had to be made as well.  Ishmael’s generals were immensely popular in the land but they had to be dealt with accordingly as well.  But in the end, all was for the best.  Ganesh is pious, and his subjects are thankful.”
                “I, I understand.  I will never tell a soul.  What must I do with the Sword?”
                “Keep it in a safe place.  You may need it one day when you are king.”
                “But I will not be king, Strom is older.  He is next in line.”
                “You should keep the Sword anyway.”
                Crom understood exactly what was being implied, but he still had one question to propose Valla, “Valla?”
                “What is it?”
                “I also have found the lost booty of Ishmael.  What is to become of it now?”
                “It should remain untouched.  We have gotten along without it; I see no reason why we cannot continue to do so.”
                And with that, Valla made his exit.  He however did not notice Strom as he hurried down the hallway.  Strom had heard everything that had been discussed in the room.  He was very upset.  Strom had always been honest and open with his father but now his own brother and his father’s trusted advisor were deceiving him.  How dare they?  Someday there would be payment for their sin.


###

More Greatest Evil

Comments