The Greatest Evil 7



Two years had passed since Crom’s ascent into warriordom, Strom reached manhood as well, but his test was of a more conventional Norseman’s, not of a Chieftain.  Strom consummated with some anonymous wench and all were proud.  He was just a normal 13-year-old, except of noble blood.  Under ordinary circumstances, he would be next in line for the throne of the unified tribes, but that honor belonged to Crom who was holding pretend battles with countless vagabonds and roughians on the river bank.
                Strom and Aparthie sat next to each other enjoying the rare beautiful winter’s morning on the same bank.  The two really related to each other.  Aparthie had overcome a tragic childhood while Strom struggled to adjust to his own situation.  How often did the first born son play second banana?  Was it his fault Crom’s birth brought about the death of his mother?  That Ganesh felt guilt for this?  Strom always had self-pity about him and Aparthie worried, “What troubles you Strom?”
                “How did you do it?”
                “Do what?”
                “Tell me of your family, Aparthie.”
                “I cannot, it hurts.”
                “Please, I must know.  Your pain may bring me strength.”
                Aparthie knew that Strom meant well.  That he could not help his selfishness, “You must swear to me that you will never tell anybody of this.  I do not want anybody’s pity.  I do not want everybody reminding me when I see them and their insincere empathy.”
                “By my mother’s honor.”
                And with this, Aparthie began crying.  Her pale face turned to crimson as it swallowed he own tears.  She took a moment to compose herself and began, “My father, Vito of the Franks and my mother Constance were married and had a daughter named Necessity.  And they were happy.  He was a successful doctor and she a true and deserving mother.  Three years later she was to have me.  But she, like your mother, died during my delivery.  Father was destroyed.  His wife died, and I wasn’t even a boy.  Who would carry his legacy?  Father could not live at home anymore; he just could not stand it.  We made a new home in the Southern Danish Lands.  I was treated horribly so I ran away on my sixth birthday.  On the sixth anniversary of mother’s passing.  I was plagued with disturbing dreams until Crom saved me.”
                Strom, whose eyes were watering hugged Aparthie warmly and stood up.  He left her alone.  He had to leave because he could not allow anyone to see him cry.  He was a man.  Aparthie, sensing an implosion of emotion within Strom asked him to stay.  She valued his company and wished for him to be by her side.  She wanted him to share with him.  He turned and she saw his tears.  Aparthie quickly rushed to Strom and held his hand.  The two walked along the river bank and Strom was happy.  They walked back and forth several times until Strom noticed that Aparthie’s attention was elsewhere, “My lady, what troubles you so?”
                “Do not worry, Strom.  Any problem of mine is surely trivial to a man such as yourself.”
                “Nonsense.  I love you.”
                “And I love you as well,” replied Aparthie sincerely.
                “I care for your troubles.  I listened to your story of your past; now tell me of the grief that haunts you presently.”
                “My...my heart rages passionately for the companionship of one whom I cannot have.  I know not what I shall do.  This, this intense desire I posses burns so much, but I am afraid.  I am afraid,” and with that Strom held her. 
                Strom smiled; for once in his life, he was truly happy.  The love he had was mutual, “Aparthie, if your feelings are genuine, you should open yourself to him.  He would be a fool not to accept your proposal for courtship.  You must quench your desire.”
                “But this man is brilliant.  He is pure, he is powerful, he is handsome, and he is humble.  I am but a cave dweller that was rescued from death.”
                Strom could not believe that Aparthie still thought of herself as a peasant.  She had the same low self worth that he had.  Perhaps this was the reason that Strom related to her?  He reassured her, “You are sensitive.  You are beautiful.  You are loving.  You are worthy.  Tell him.”
                “I am afraid.”
                “Do not be afraid.  I am here for you.  We are all here for you.”
                “Very well.  I must summon up the courage to explain my wanting affection for Crom.  Where is he?”
                “What!” Strom shouted as he gestured to Crom who was engaged in intense combat with invisible foes.
                “I must tell him of my feelings.”
                “Crom?  Why him?  He does not even know of your existence anymore.  I love you Aparthie.  I want to be with you.  Crom is too busy for love.”
                “He does care for me.  And I have loved him ever since he saved me.”
                “And I have loved you ever since that first feast.  I ate food, yet hungered for you, my dear.”  And with that he grabbed Aparthie and forced her lips to his.  He ripped her dress and fondled her fledgling breasts.  Aparthie screamed and Crom heard her cries.  Crom could not resist the chance to be a hero and rushed to her side.  Strom was surprised by a punch in his kidneys.  “What are you  doing Strom, she is our sister!” demanded Crom.
                “I love her Crom.  I want to be with her, do you understand that?”
                “She is your sister dammit!  She is not here to fuel our lusts.  She is to be married to help us gain power, to build upon our alliances.  She is an object of politics, not desire.”
                Aparthie could not believe what she had just heard.  Twice did family betray her.  She ran away in the direction of the castle and cried a river of betrayal.  Strom could not believe his ears either, “You lie!  Why do you say such horrible things?  I am unaware of you plans but father will have none of this.”
                “It is his idea.”
                “You lie!”
                “Why do you think he let the harlot stay?”
                “If this is true, I am no longer part of this family.  I would rather be among the pigs out there than among the rats in here.  To hell with the throne!  I want no part of this family.”
                Crom may have seemed heartless but he valued family.  Crom loved his brother and could not stand to see him leave, “Do not leave, brother.  I am sorry, but you needed to realize the truth eventually.”
                “No, it is too late.  I have witnessed a travesty.  Promise me this brother; do not wed Aparthie to some stranger.  She deserves better.  Let her pick her husband.  She shall fall in love again someday.”
                “Fall in love again?  Whom did she love?”
                Defeated, Strom announced with sarcastic pomp and circumstance, “You, dear brother.  You are blind.  Treat her well, or you shall know my blade.”
                Crom knew that he could not stop Strom from leaving, he would be gone forever.  And with that he said, “May the Gods protect you.”
                Strom could not quite leave yet, he had one more thing that needed to be said, “Did you ever intend on informing father of the Sword?”
                “You know about the Sword?  No, I would never tell him.  It may destroy him.”
                “Remember, the sins of the father.  Secrets are an evil that have been known to take down empires.”  Strom made his way.  It was his intent to never come back home.  Like his brother, he was going on a journey that would surely test his limits.  Strom was going to make a new home, a new family.  He headed south to be among the Danes.  


###

More Greatest Evil

Comments