The Greatest Evil 9




A few months had passed.  Vito was very happy with his apprentice.  Strom had learned all of the basics of health care of that time and was an excellent house guest.  The two were at work when Strom plucked at one of Vito’s pet peeves, “Here are the herbs that you kindly asked me to retrieve, sir.”
                “Damn it, boy!  I have told you time and time again not to address me by that title.  I am Vito, caretaker of the community.  Sir is a title that they use.  Used by Ganesh, and Ishmael before him, and Walter before him.  Monarch pigs get my money, but they will not get my respect.  It is because of them that I have such a fruitful enterprise.  Viking kings play chess with human lives in a game of power.  A few lives here a few lives there, they care not for all they want is land and the praise and booty of those they conquer.  Damn them.  Damn them to Niflheim.”
                “Sincere apologies, sir.”
                “Enough for today, let us feast.”
                The two put down what they were doing and exited, going into the adjoing room.  There was a table with plenty of food upon it.  The two sat down and were accompanied by Necessity.  While devouring the delicious meal, Vito ranted on and on about some sickness that was spreading, he was worried it was the beginning of a plague or something of the kind.  He did not notice Necessity gazing at Strom throughout the evening.  After dinner, Strom was alone with Necessity in her quarters.  The two made sweet, innocent, passionate, pillow-biting love.  Afterwards, Strom held her close to him.  Boxt, their first son was conceived. 
                The two lovers would meet in secret over the next few months and engage in carnal activities.  Necessity’s father was not to have knowledge, but the two could not hide their sins for long.  As her belly grew so did Vito’s suspicion until it was blatantly obvious that she was not pure.  Vito approached Strom at work, “Strom, be by me, I have a few general queries for you.”
                His curiosity peeked, Strom asked, “What is your will, sir?”
                “Necessity is with child, are you aware of the calamity that this presents?”
                And with that, Strom began to perspire.  His face became crimson, “Indeed I do, for she is without husband.”
                “Indeed, indeed.  She shall be betrothed.  But tell me this, Strom, your are the father, are you not?”
                A hole filled up inside Strom.  He was tired of shoveling lies and secrets trying to cover it up.  It was time to be honest for he too knew what it was like to have someone near and dear to you lie and keep secrets, “It is true Vito.  I have fed the fair wench’s womb.”
                Vito knew it all along but for some reason, hearing it made it all that much dirtier, “Hold your tong whipping boy!  It is time for my words to pierce your ears boy.  How does an apprentice skillfully deceive his generous teacher?  I have taught you, I have fed you, I have given you a place for which you may slumber,”
                Strom had had enough of Vito playing the righteous leader to his corrupted disciple, “Necessity provided that place long ago.”
                “Hold your tongue fool!  How are you worthy?  She is the daughter of an established caretaker of the community; you are my student, a street rat when I took you in.  How do you find yourself worthy?”
                “Necessity is a medicine man’s daughter, whereas I am the son of the monarch pig Ganesh!  I am more than qualified to water her garden.”
                “You lie!  Now leave.  I will find an honest, respectable husband.”
                “Respect this,” shouted Strom as he punched the old man in the stomach.  Vito fell to his knees, he had lost his breath, and he would never find it.  Strom placed his right hand over Vito’s mouth while clasping his nose between his thumb and index finger.  Vito died a few minutes later.  Strom ran outside the shop down the road, “Alas!  Assistance is needed, Vito’s heart has died!”


###

More Greatest Evil

Comments