The Greatest Evil 10




Ganesh, Crom, and Valla were gathered in the great hall.  The room seemed so quiet and somber when not filled with drunken soldiers and wenches.  The trio had converted it into a war room for this occasion; it would be hours until it became a community center of vices and debauchery.  Ganesh said to his son, “Crom, go find your brother.  We need to discuss succession to the throne.”
                Crom knew that this day would one day come and had a terse reply, “After Strom departed, I sent a foot soldier to follow and report his whereabouts.  That man has yet to return.  I fear that Strom may have slain him.  All I know is this:  he has gone to live a simple life among the commoners.  Perhaps there he will find the happiness that has always eluded him.” 
                The thought of his son living amongst the common folk did not sit well with Ganesh, “Ever was your brother quick to ignore his duties.  Well, no matter, Strom will not be king when I pass.  You will, Crom.  You are noble and honorable.  You know where you come from.  You accept it, and I believe age and the throne will bring you the wisdom that you need.”
                Valla, knowing his role in advance reassured Crom, “And I will advise you, my prince.”
                Ganesh told Crom, “Yes, Crom, you would do well to heed Valla’s advice when you are king.  He knows much of military matters and politics.”
                Hearing this completely stunned Crom, he had suspected this to be true, but did not realize that his time was so near, “But. . .father, I had thought Strom was to rule after you.  He is the eldest,” said Crom just to humor his father.
                “Your brother is tormented by personal demons, Crom.  He cannot be allowed to rule until he has overcome his inner turmoil,” Ganesh continued, “And I do not see this happening in the foreseeable future.  I fear for your brother, Crom.”
                Crom made an empty promise, “Then I will hold the throne for Strom, until he has rid himself of these demons that torment him so.”
                Valla saw through this façade, but knew Crom to be much more worthy than Strom, “As you wish, my prince.  But we must talk of Aparthie, now.  She is quite lovely, is she not?  A marriage to her, a peasant, would greatly help Ganesh.  The commoners would follow your father even more strongly.”
                Excited, Ganesh added, “And with the commoners behind us, I can increase the size of the army.  I fear that Quadri, our neighbors to the north and the descendants of Ishmail, may well invade soon.”
                With authority, Valla said, “I am sure of it.  They grow infinitely restless.”
                Hearing this astonished Crom.  After years of peace  in Norway and the growth of their army, he never thought of the possibility of aggression, he asked, “But would they dare go against our strength?”
                Ganesh answered with, “Best to be prepared for any eventuality.  Quadri has always needed little reason to expand his borders.  Now, you will be wed to Aparthie.  It shall be a grand day.  You must do this.  It is you responsibility to your people.”
                “I shall not shy away from my duty.”                                                                                                                                   


###

More Greatest Evil

Comments