Special Delivery





Super Bowl Sunday.  2012. The fluky Giants and the hated Patriots.  I didn’t watch.  I was near the end of my tenure at my third job at the time.  There was my full-time job in TV, there was my veterinary lab job, and there was this one.  Delivery boy.  It was as an independent contractor.  10-99!  I drove my own car and did not get reimbursements.  Just my $5 per delivery and I could claim miles on my taxes.  As long as my itemizations exceeded the standard deduction (they did that year).  Terrible work.  A rip-off.  Barely profitable.  I only did that job for a bout five weeks.  I got a better job to replace it.  Telemarketing.

Anyway.  There I was.  Super Bowl Sunday.  Expecting it to be busy.  Happy to make half a dozen or so trips from various restaurants to homes.  I didn’t wait at home though.  I live in the sticks.  Typically for this job I’d park at a centrally located gas station or an empty parking lot and just wait it out.  I think I made one delivery and sat and parked in front of a dry cleaning place that day.  And waited.  It. Was. Slow. Around 7PM I got a call.  Japanese food in south Tulsa.  I was in midtown.  Fox Cleaners parking lot.  Let’s roll!  Let’s drive a dozen miles and spend 45 minutes to make $5 before taxes!  Mount up!

Click.

Click.

Crap.  I guess I had left my headlights on while I sat in my car and read Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin.  It was pretty nasty.  The book itself was good.  Learned a lot about Salmon P Chase and William Seward.  But while delivering barbecue one day I spilled sauce all over it.  And on my passenger seat.  I gave the book to my nephew when I finished it.  He eyed the brown stained tome with grave suspicion.  Anyway.  My battery was dead. 

I called my employer, sorry, my “client”.  Did I mention that independent contracting stinks?  Most of the time by all definitions of the word you are an employee.  The company is just cheating the worker and government out of tax dollars.  I know, “don’t like it?  Don’t work for them!”  It’s not really that simple.  So, I called the guys that paid me for doing work with their badge within their defined hours following their protocols and told them I was stuck.  Of course, an employer would help you.  But I wasn’t employed by them.  My shift was effectively over.  I was no longer any use to them.  It was up to me to figure out my car issue and get home.    

I called my wife and she told me to call her brother who was closer to me.  I called my brother-in-law during the Super Bowl.  He arrived at Fox Cleaners and gave me a jump.  I then drove on to the O’Reilly Auto Parts store.  A few years later my son knew them as “Oh-oh-O’Reilly” because of their radio jingle.

I asked one of their associates if he could check my battery for me.  Was it any good?  It had died recently and now again.  He helped and we chatted.  I told him I had three jobs and my wife had one as well and was watching the kid.  Then he caught me off guard.

He put his hand on my shoulder and asked if he could pray for me right there.  I told him sure, go ahead.  And he did.  He prayed that my family would be blessed.  That I would get a good job so I wouldn’t have to have three.  That I could take care of my family and spend more time with my boy.  I thanked him. 

Within a few weeks I would have a much better third job.  I was an employee (and actual employee!) and didn’t have to put hundreds of miles on my car.  I’d also replace my alternator.

But that was touching.  It was what I needed at the time.  The Giants won 21-17.

Comments