The Greatest Evil 13




Crom and Aparthie had been married hair over a dozen years and she had yet to conceive child.  Crom could not accept that his wife was barren though she had many years ago.  Ganesh was an old man by now and Crom was in his middle thirties and had no son to continue his legacy.  He spent his days training for an imminent war that never came. 
                On this day, Crom was bare-chested and sparring with his sword against two other swordsmen.  He defeated them easily enough.  Crom was a mighty warrior indeed, the finest ever bred.  Aparthie watched him contentedly as she always did, when Valla entered the courtyard, when he said excitedly, “My Lord, Crom!  My Lady, Aparthie, there is a visitor in the library meeting with Ganesh.  He claims to be Boxt, the eldest son of Strom.  Your presence is required at this meeting!”  Crom and Aparthie shared a startled look.  Crom put on his shirt, strapped his sheath in place, slid the sword in, and headed to the library, followed by Aparthie and Valla.
                 They arrived in the library and there was a young Boxt, talking with Ganesh.  Boxt stood, then kneeled, in a timid voice he made out, “Lord Crom, Lady Aparthie.  I am Boxt, son of Strom, brother to you both.  I come with news of my father.  I fear he has gone mad.  Just recently, in a fit drunken rage, he confessed to the murder of my mother’s father.  When my mother threatened to go to the authorities, he slew her as well.  My younger brother stayed with our father out of fear.  I came here seeking safety from my vicious father.”  Boxt was convincing, he never let on his true intentions.
                “You will have it, young Boxt,” said Crom, “Aparthie and I shall raise you as our own.  It saddens me greatly to hear of the fall of my brother from grace.” 
                Boxt smiled hesitantly and rose to his feet.  He shook the hand of Ganesh and Crom.  Boxt gave his hand to Aparthie who instinctively gave him a hug, she squeezed him tightly.  Aparthie was truly disturbed by news of such deeds of Strom.  She still had great love for him as a brother.  Crom was upset too, but knew all along that Strom was capable of such acts.  Ganesh called for the help to show Boxt around and he had a new home.


###

More Greatest Evil

Comments