The Greatest Evil 18




Putting off going home, Crom took his time on his return home.  He spent an entire week in the tavern just outside his father’s castle getting thoroughly smashed.  He sat alone at the bar drinking beer.  A few off-duty soldiers walked in and congratulated Crom on his return home, this meant victory to them, but Crom did not seem to notice.  The soldiers recognized his mood and decided to keep their distance from their melancholy prince. 
                After a while of wallowing in his own self-pity, a drunkard approached him and slurred out, “Hello stranger, my name is Farnham.  How do you fare on such a splendid evening?”  Crom said nothing and there was total silence.  All eyes were on the foolish drunk, “Not much for talking, huh?  Well, let me tell you something, buddy.  I too was once a shy lad like yourself; but I, listen to me, I , wha?  Hey, you look to be depressed.  What’s troubling you, kind sir?  Women!  That’s wha.  I can tell by      your self wallowing.  Well let me tell you that there is no better place to go tan here, with a buncha drunks.  We need each other because we understand each o’er.  Let me tell you this buddy. . .no woman is worth torturing yourself.  Right, brothers?”
                Dead silence for a brief second seemed like an eternity, but then the whole room seemed to shout in unison, “Damn women!  Damn them to Niflheim!”
                Proud of the response that he got the Farnham continued, “You see, buddy.  We are all brothers here.  We understand our pains.  And this is how we soothe them.  Welcome to the family.  You can trus’ us because we know you.  We will take care of each o’er because that’s what brothers do.”
                That rubbed Crom the wrong way.  It hit a sore spot and he said quietly but quite sternly, “If you do not become mute, I will make you so.  Now make haste and leave me be.”  And with that, the drunk got up and stumbled away.  He was drunk but he was not a complete fool.  Farnham saw the size and power in Crom and respected it.
                With the drunk making his exit, Valla conveniently made his entrance and sat next to Crom.  He ordered his ale and ignored the look that Crom gave at him.  It burned a hole in him to see his prince look at him so.  Crom was like a nephew to him.  Valla reassured him, “You’ve succeeded, my lord.  You scattered Ishmael’s followers and the scout’s reports indicate that what remains of the force that gathered in the mountains has withdrawn.  They seem broken.  You and your men killed many of the leaders of the revolution.  The rebels are lost without leaders.  They’ve no hope and they’ll soon realize it.  They’ll return to their families and forget thoughts of sedition.  Your victory was complete.  So why have you been here the past week drowning yourself in drink?”
                Fighting renegade tears Crom confessed, “I failed, Valla.  The rebels have a man to follow.  Most likely, they’ve simply pulled back outside of your scouting network in order to regroup.  Were I you, I’d expect an organized attack within the month.  Mark my words, they’ll come after us here.”
                Such an attack had not happened since Valla and Ganesh did so in their own revolution.  Valla could not believe this and asked, “What?  But you. . .What man do they follow?  How could you know their actions?  They would not dare attack us here, behind the impenetrable. . .”
                “Strom.”  A single word said so much.  A cold silence followed for three or four goblets worth of beer.  Crom continued, “They follow Strom.  And I have come to know my brother better than I ever have.  He desires my death, and the death of my father.  He’ll have his men attack in force as a diversion.  The real attack will be the assassinations of myself and Ganesh.”  Valla briefly digested this information and mumbled to himself.  Crom went on once again, “Betrayed.  Betrayed by my brother.  My own flesh. . . we shared everything; what was mine was his.  I loved him.  He was supposed to love me, and yet, he betrays me.  Where did I go wrong?”
                “Lord Crom, If Strom’s  betrayal was complete, how, then, did you escape his subterranean stronghold with your life?”
                “By the grace of the generous Lord Strom.  He is, of course, both benevolent and honorable.  After he slew each of my men from behind, he allowed me to escape unscathed.  He is devious, Valla.  Never forget that.  He always was my superior in tactical matters.  There, his intellect is unrivaled.  He has no equal.  There is no knowing his strategy.  I can only assume that the death of Ganesh and myself is an integral part.  Therefore, it is also a safe assumption that he will strike here, at our hearts.”
                How could this be?  Who the hell did Strom think he was?  Valla said loudly, “If he brings troops here, he must not survive the ordeal.  That is your duty, Crom.  Though he many have spared your life, you cannot afford to spare his.  He is to be charged with treason.  The penalty is death.  You are to be his executioner.”
                “Duty.  That’s all I have.  I have to kill my own brother, out of duty?  Because of my duty to the kingdom, and to the people.  I’m wed to a woman I love as a sister, not as a wife.  I can never love a woman because of this damnable duty, Valla!  I had hoped I would come to love Aparthie, but I cannot.  It sickens me.  I can see that she loves me deeply, yet I cannot return the sentiment.  I fear what she would do were she to discover that her love is unrequited.  Duty, Valla.  That’s all I have.  Will I never know anything else?  May the Gods take your glorious duty, Valla!  To hell with it.  Leave me to my miseries for this night.  Upon the morrow, I will return to the military counsels to prepare for the imminent attack, and yes, Valla, I will carry out this duty as I have carried out all my others.  May the gods forgive me for what I have done, and what I will do in the name of duty.  I’ve brought a pure soul into this house which is bereft of love and compassion.  I’ve brought this woman, so caring, so loving, to a place where eventually her innocence will be shattered.  I fear what this eventuality will do to her pure soul.  She loves me as a husband, and Ganesh as a father.  I fear she even loves Strom, though as I do, as a brother.  If she were to discover that Ganesh sees her only as a commoner, and that I love her only as a sister—not a close companion, it may very well tear her heart asunder.  If only I had been born a commoner, then I might have been able to return Aparthie’s love.  Instead, I know nothing of the love a man would share with his wife.  I know duty.”
                Valla had never seen Crom open up like this.  For the first time, Valla pitied Crom.  He clasped forearms with Crom and hugged him.  Valla left the bar fighting the same renegade tear that Crom had at the beginning of their conversation.  Crom finished the rest of his beer and seemed defeated.  His shoulders were weighted down by his duties as he trudged out slowly with his head seemingly buried in the ground.  Oh, how he wished he could be somebody else. 
                Nobody had noticed Boxt in a dark corner of the tavern.  He had heard everything said between Crom and Valla.  Word gets around when a prince frequents a tavern for an entire week and Boxt had followed Valla into the tavern and hid and remained quiet.  He left the tavern minutes after Crom and went to his private quarters in the castle.  He paced back and forth tapping his finger against his chin.  In a soliloquy to himself, “By the Gods, Strom has truly crossed into the realm of madness.  To attack directly, to throw his forces against this fortress, will only lead to numerous, needless deaths.  I could infiltrate Strom’s troops and try to kill him.  That would scatter his followers. . .but I am no match for Strom in battle, and they would never allow me to get close enough to slip a dagger between his ribs.  If Strom doesn’t die, he will lead thousands of men, fools though they may be, to their deaths.  Surely, I will be damned to the 9th Hell, but I must see Aparthie die.  If she dies, Strom will throw himself upon his own blade that he may follow close by behind her on her way to Valhalla.  May the Gods and Aparthie forgive me, but I see no other way.  But I cannot force myself to end her life.  She has found her way into my affections.  But if she were to take her own life. . . the result would be the same and I would not have to push the knife, though in my soul, I know her blood would still be on my hands.  Wolfsbane!  It’s painless.  She’ll just go to sleep and never wake.  It will appear she simply died in her slumber.  Unless. . .I will convince her that she should go to Strom.  That Crom doesn’t lover her, but Strom does.  If she can be shown that her place is to be with my father, then Strom would call the attack off.  One way or another, it ends soon.” 



###

More Greatest Evil

Comments