The Greatest Evil 21




The next evening, Strom went into a tavern much like the one that Crom had lived in for an entire week.  Strom took his seat at a bench and yelled out, “Barkeep!  Send me what’s good!”
                “Aye!  Lord Strom.  How is my favorite customer?” replied the barkeep dutifully.
                “Keep your mouth shut and my glass full and you will earn what’s coming.  Otherwise, our relationship is strictly business for you and pleasure for me.  Run along now.”
                The same drunkard that had harassed Crom the night before took a seat to the left of Strom and said to him, “Well if it isn’t Lord Strom. My name is Farnham.  How’s the revolution, brother?”  Strom said nothing, so Farnham continued, “Not in a speaking mood, eh?  Well let me tell you somethin’, if a man refuses to communicate it must be because a woman holds his tongue.  If she holds his tongue, she also holds his heart.  Am I right, brothers?”  he said addressing the entire tavern which gave an enthusiastic, “Blessed be the grip of women!” the drunk had a way of getting other drunks to rally together.  He continued where he left off, “You see?  We all know each o’er here.  Let me tell you this brother, women are the most priceless thing a man can have.  Well that, and the love of his peers, right brothers?”
                “A woman’s love is all I need!” shouted the crowd, in unison again.
                “Aye, and a glass filled to the rim.   Anyway. . .wha?  Yeah, let me tell you this, do not let a woman go.  Do whatever you got to do to save her love for your own.  You hear me brother?”
                Strom broke his silence with this reply, “Unfortunately, I do.”  Strom grabbed Farnham by the throat and slammed his head against the hard wood of the table.  The drunk struggled but could not get loose.  Strom picked up his battle axe and decapitated the drunk and said, “Barkeep!”
                “Yes, Lord Strom?”
                “Give everybody a drink, courtesy of my short friend here.”  The crowd cheered and continued their various conversations.  Strom left the tavern after the round of drinks was complete and never had a drink again.  There was bitter wisdom in what the drunk had told him.


###

More Greatest Evil

Comments