The Greatest Evil 24




Crom walked down the hall that led to the throne room in the castle.  He saw a soldier name Mathis.  Mathis had recently been promoted to officer status because of the recent slaughter of soldiers during the raid in the mountains.  Crom asked him, “Have you begun preparations?  We can expect attack shortly, I fear.  They will surely have great numbers of men, and possibly siege engines.  Have the fletchers produced sufficient arrows?  Our archers will provide the brunt of the defense.  Every third archer along the wall should have a torch, so as to ignite their arrows, and the arrows of their neighbors.  The siege engines must be set aflame before they reach the walls.”
                “My Lord, all is prepared.  Were the rebels to attack tomorrow, we would lay waste to them.  And my cavalry men are eager to have you lead us out of the gates to meet their attack.”  Mathis was still at awe with discussing strategy with the prince.
                “Very good.  Be at peace, Mathis.”
                “Be at peace, Lord Crom.”  The two clasped forearms and Mathis left. 
                Crom left the throne room and made way to his private quarters.  After he entered he hung his sword from a peg by the door and turned to see Aparthie waiting for him, sitting on the floor.  There is an open pouch beside her.  Some of the contents were spilled on the floor.  It appeared to be petals from a yellow flower.  He said to her, “How was your day, wife?  I hope you found something to fill the hours, now that no one is allowed inside the castle.”  He walked closer to see her weeping, her eyes were red, “What has happened?  Why do you weep?”
                “I have discovered something that for years has lain plain before me.  You don’t love me, Crom.  You never have.  I know you, Crom.  I know that if you could pick who you would love, you would have picked me to save me this pain.  But alas, love cannot be decided in such ways.”
                Crom now had a lump in his throat, “I’m truly sorry, Aparthie.  I wish I could have spared you this.  Can you not be content with what I can give, with my intentions?  Can you not go back to your blissful ignorance?”
                “I cannot.  I too, have had hoped to spare you some pain.  I expected you to be preparing for war late into the night.”
                “I came back early for you.  What pain would you have spared me?”
                “I’m dying.  I had hoped the deed would be complete before your return.  I could not live in a world that would deny me your love.”
                Crom cried for the first time in his entire life.  He softly kissed the top of Aparthie’s head, “I would rather you die here, in my arms, than alone in this room.  That would have hurt me more.”  He held her in his arms. 
                Aparthie leaned her head on his chest and whispered, “I love you.”
                “And I you.  It has taken this terrible act for me to realize the depth of my feelings for you.  This much pain can only come from love.”  She smiled weakly.  Crom realized that she was nearly at the end of her tortured life.  He kissed her deeply.  When he pulled back, she was gone.  He whispered, “I love you, Aparthie.” 
                The door burst open and Valla entered, “My lord, I hate to interrupt you and your wife, but the king is taken ill.  I fear he may soon pass to the next life.  He has asked for you.”
                Overcome with grief on top of grief, Crom shouted, “The Gods are punishing me, Valla.  Aparthie has died, Valla.  See that she is buried in the Tomb of Nobles.”
                “But. . . my lord.  She was not a noble.  She was a commoner.  Had she had child, she would have been noble, but-”
                “She was my wife!  Follow my orders, Valla.  I will go see my father.”


###

More Greatest Evil

Comments