The Greatest Evil 25




News of Aparthie’s death did not get around.  It was decided by the regime to keep it secret until the rebellion was stopped.  Aparthie was buried in a very private ritual in the royal cemetery.  A week went by and Boxt met with Heti once more.  As usual, Boxt was late and Heti was waiting.  The two met in a secluded portion of the forest, Heti said to Boxt, “What news have you of the ruling family, brother?”
                “The palace is in turmoil.  The Lady Aparthie has chosen to end her life.  Lord Crom is stricken with grief and guilt over her death.”  Boxt was plagued with genuine guilt and grief but held fast to the belief that it had to be done.
                Heti noticed Boxt’s heavy heart and asked, “I can tell Lord Crom is not the only one to feel guilt over the noble Lady’s death.  This even weighs heavy on your conscience, brother.  What hand did you play in this event?”  Heti was suspicious, why in the hell would Boxt feel bad, he was deadest against Strom and Aparthie getting wed?
                “I drove the dagger through her heart, Heti.  The wounds I inflicted upon her may not have been physical, but they cut just as deep and as efficiently as the finest steel.  All people, commoners and noble alike, we all strive to be loved, and to love in return.  It is what sets us apart from the beasts.  The most heroic and the most evil deeds have been committed in the name of love.  What I have done, I did in foolish pride.  In my quest for vengeance and peace of mind, I arrogantly believed that I could bring a halt to inevitable slaughter of the men who follow our father.  I believed that, with the death or departure of Aparthie, father would cease this madness, and go to be with his beloved, even if she be in the gilded halls of Vallhalla.  I was to sacrifice one, so that many would live to return to their families. . .to be loved.  But who am I to make such a decision?  I am no general, skilled in the art of tactics.  I have erred, my brother.  I have erred greatly.  And because of my prideful arrogance, a pure, innocent woman was completely destroyed.  I left her with nothing.  I viciously told her how everyone she loves in this life felt only a slight affection, if that, for her.  I told her that Ganesh, the man she loves as a father, viewed her as nothing but a commoner.  I staggered her as if I had driven my fist into her abdomen.  When I told her of Lord Crom’s lack of feeling for her, I could see the will to live drain from her eyes.  She seemed to look out at the world with eyes already glazed in death.  I almost lost my resolve to finish the deed, but I could see that she would have taken her life no matter what actions I then took.  So upon my departure from her chambers, I left a pouch of wolfsbane.  ‘Tis said to be a peaceful death.  I took from her that which powers the will to live:  Love.  When the love fled her soul, a void was created.  And from that void came pain.  I could see the transformations take place in her eyes.  I think I destroyed the both of us.  I don’t know what will become of me, Brother.  This terrible guilt is eating away at me, and by my actions, I have surely sacrificed my place in Vallhalla.  I have been condemned to a life of misery, and an after-life of unspeakable horror.  Both of which I deserve.  She was so pure; so innocent.  And I destroyed her very soul.”
                Heti swallowed all that his brother had poured onto him.  He looked into his eyes and saw authentic grief.  Heti condoned what Boxt had done by telling him, “Your actions were justified my brother.  Perhaps they will alter the flow of events.  Take solace in the knowledge that you may have saved lives.  I fear I must leave now.”
                Boxt was not pacified much by what Heti had said but did gather his composure, “Brother, please, you must not tell Father the cause of Aparthie’s death.  If he knows, he will only want vengeance on those responsible, which will end in the great loss of lives.  You must tell him her death was natural.  Only then will we have a chance of preserving life and ending this pointless war before it starts.”
                The two clasped arms as Heti answered, “It will be as you say Brother.  Be at peace.”  The two parted ways.


###

More Greatest Evil

Comments