Stag 1 - Yellow Rose





Hard to believe it’s been a year since I wrote about working at channel 12.  Well let’s change that.

I began working there around February. Typically, my job involved me shooting stories for a few hours and then editing video for shows on the weekend.  During the week, I would edit for two shows, shoot a story for an hour or two, and hurry and edit for the 10PM News.

This story was a Friday night in the summer of 2004.  One of our anchors also produced the 10PM news.  News anchors are local celebrities and often got called to make appearances and judge events.  This night there was such an event.  There was a talent show at the honky tonk down the road and she was to judge.  Since she was making a public appearance we had to cover the event as if it were news of course.  So, I had to go shoot it.  Self-promotion masquerading as a news story.  It has always been a thing.  Always will be a thing.

The place was what you’d expect.  Metal building off a spur route surrounded by a gravel parking lot.  Inside was dark, smell of smoke, loud country music (probably Tim McGraw, Keith Urban and Kenny Chesney). Large shiny dance floor.  Stage up front for performers.  Lot of glistening wood finish. I picked a spot and set my camera up.  I was gonna be there like 20 minutes and scram.  Totally not my scene.  At all.

Five minutes to show time and some Merle Haggard looking fella comes up.

“Glad you could make it.  I own this joint.  I’ll buy you a drink.”

“Thank you, sir, but I’m good.  I’m working.”

“Bullshit.  Let me get you something.  It’s free. Relax a little.”

Only he said it in a forceful way and I was worried about being rude.  I told him, “I like Jager.”

A moment later he brought me the drink and stood there staring at me.  I downed the shot quickly and pointed the camera at my anchor as the ceremony commenced.  I got a couple other shots (camera shots, not liquor) and was prepared to move to another spot.  My empty shot glass was gone.  It was replaced with another one filled to the top with that delicious German liquor.

I looked around and saw the owner looking at me.  He had some drink in his hand and held it high as if to say, “Cheers!”  I am so weak.  I fell to the “peer pressure” and downed another shot.  Grabbed my gear and moved to the other side of the dance hall.

A few moments and camera shots later and bam!  There was another shot of Jager waiting right next to me.  What the Hell?  I looked and he gestured at me again.  Didn’t this guy have other pressing business?  I know he thought he was being a great host but gosh damn.  I was on the clock!  I had to drive a station vehicle.  I had to go back into my work building and talk to coworkers face to face.

I snapped my camera off its tripod and grabbed my gear and rushed out of there, gave a quick head nod to the owner leaving my 3rd shot of Jager behind.  I don’t like being uncomfortable, or conflict, confrontation, etc…I drove back to work and went to editing my 10PM show.  As far as I can tell nobody knew I had two shots.  A third shot might have been pushing it though.  I felt guilty about drinking on the job.  I was so paranoid I’d get pulled over too.  Getting a DUI in a station vehicle would have been the end of my career.  Hell, in a personal vehicle may have ended it too.  But I made it.  I swore to myself, “never again.” 


Comments